There has been a therapy cap reprieve on this the fast day of April, 2014: April Fools Day. The “Stop the Therapy Caps” campaign was ultimately not successful, and one could argue that the only success out of the late breaking House and Senate Bills over the past week has been that we are in the same spot we were …. and there is no movement forward in addressing the real issues facing out patient therapy providers in all practice setting. While the therapy industry now has another opportunity to regroup and another 12 month reprieve, let’s turn to more practical matters. What happens today forward? Here is what we know so far that has been presented by the various therapy cap coalition Washington DC lobbyists.
Therapy Cap Reprieve Facts:
- Physician Fee Schedule cut of 24% is delayed till March 31, 2015
- Therapy Cap Exceptions Process (KX modifier) would be extended through March 31, 2015
- ICD-10 delayed till October 1, 2015
- Extends therapy caps exceptions process (use of KX modifier over $1920)
- Manual medical review at $3700 extended
- CMS will not need to hold claims effective with dates of service April 1, 2014
The Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (H.R. 4302), has been sent to the President for his signature.
We will have further updates over the next week and those will be via the Rehab Compliance Newsletter. (Have you subscribed?)